View Single Post
Old 11-09-2011, 01:18 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Smile Amitryptaline for nerve pain?

I have found Amitrypaline to be very helpful for pain, and nerve pain, and find it mentioned on more and more places I search for information on neuropathic pain. I find 25 mgs of Amitryptaline to be even better than taking 22.5 mgs of Oxycodone (1 and 1/2 of a 15 mg tablet). It does make me sleepy and I do use 50 mgs at bedtime for sleep and am finally getting 4-5 hours of sleep at a time, I'm up for an hour or so, then back to deep sleep for another 2 hours. Bliss! I haven't gained (or lost) any weight.

As far as Gabapentin, Cymbalta and Lyrica go - I see a pharmacist for Wellness Counseling. She is a homeopathic practitioner and also knows a great deal regarding herbs, and supplements. She tells me that these 3 meds, along with Savella now ,are prescribed mostly because they scramble the nerve pain signals, which I can see that they do, along with a lot of other brain signals. She said it is VERY important to only take 1 of these medications at a time. Gabapentin has been around for awhile and if you've been on it you will see just how it scrambles your brain. Cymbalta and Lyrica are equally as bad as side effects go - mostly because your brain doesn't know what to do with them, and the effects can be cumulative and quite horrible. I know your pain is out of control so it's a tough
decision of which to try. As long as price is not a factor I would suggest Cymbalta or Savella - only one at a time though! I hope you can get to where you can function better - life was not meant to be lived in bed!
ElizaJane23 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote