View Single Post
Old 11-09-2011, 11:10 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Well, the good news is that you have a diagnosis! As you learn more about MG, you might think that it's a "bad" thing - and it's no fun to "get" this diagnosis - but for most people, MG is a "manageable" illness, and it is almost never fatal.

The good news is that with a positive diagnosis you will be able to do research and know what doctors should and shouldn't do - which will be EXTREMELY important if you ever need surgery, as the anesthesiologist will be alerted to your weakened muscles (there are some medications that should NEVER be used on patients with MG).

I was 49 when I was first diagnosed, and like you I thought that all of my slowing down (which came on slowly at first, but was becoming much more pronounced just prior to Dx) was due to age, being out of shape, my weight, etc. What a relief to find out that I wasn't imagining things!

The golden lining for me has been that I can now tell people, "I CAN'T do that strenuous exercise - it would literally kill me...."

The look on their face is priceless, but after I explain the "why" behind that statement, it shuts them up!

The folks on this board are great, and have been a source of much help -
teresakoch is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Ravenred (11-10-2011)