View Single Post
Old 11-09-2011, 05:41 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Confused young, need ssdi, but might "fall through cracks"

Hi-

Sorry friends, been awol for a long time... lots and lots of problems going on- family (or lack thereof) especially- as terrible as that may sound. I just have one quick question regarding SSDI-

I worked part time from the age of 15-18, and full time from 18-23. (aka for as long as legally allowed). After losing my job, I had the surgery (still had insurance through my dad) that caused my CRPS. Now from what I've read on the gov't's website regarding the "rules" about applying/receiving benefits, supposedly you must rack up a certain amount of "points" or "credits" based upon the number of years one has worked full-time. Now, from what I calculated, the minimum number of years one would need to work to gain enough "credits" to be eligible to even apply would be ten years... but given my age, it's mathematically impossible for me to have that many credits (even if I were still working full time, now 24 yrs old). But if it had happened a year earlier, when I was 22, everything would have been different, because apparently, at 22, they have different rules, and still consider you a "child" of-sorts (don't know what that all means).

Anyway, my point is, I'm very concerned about what I should do... if the "credits" rule really is the case, where do I fit in? and how do I get approved- quickly? I'm not going to lie, I'm dragging my feet because I'm scared about what I might hear.

Also- regarding the "waiting period" before payments start, how does that work, and what do people do during this time to get by? To pay rent, bills, groceries, etc?

Any information at ALL would be so greatly appreciated! Thank you all!!!

SnowWhyte is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote