View Single Post
Old 11-11-2011, 02:02 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default First MG symptoms

My first MG symptoms were more then 20 years ago, when I was a med student. I started finding it hard to tell my son his bed-time stories in the evening. And then started being more tired then usual during the day, sort of dragging myself, instead of walking fast or even running up the steps as I used to do.I didn't think I was ill, just a med. student with a 2 year old boy.

A brilliant friend I was studying with noticed that I had a slight droop of my left eye-lid and that the book I was holding was gradually going down. The next day after school, she brought one of the neurology residents to see if her diagnosis was correct. He took me to his office and started asking questions to which I answered-yes. Are you extremely tired in the evening? do you sometimes find it hard to hold something (yes, pick up my son. just thought he was growing heavier), do you find it harder to climb steps (yes, I could run a few flights and now I can hardly go up slowly).

He then did a brief neurological examination, took some blood tests and told me he wants to do a quick bed-side test. I was a medical student so I realized what he is doing. But, even though, I was surprised at how great it made me feel. I didn't realize how weak I was, until I felt the difference.
He too saw it. After a short while it totally faded. He took out a box of mestinon pills and gave it to me- Your friend is right. He said. You definitely have myasthenia, and this will make you feel much better.

A few months later, I was hospitalized because of a severe exacerbation. After a day of bed-rest in the hospital I was doing much better. The MG expert that came to see me, told me (and everyone else in the room) that my friend and the neurology resident were over-jealous and just made a diagnosis of something I didn't have. you don't have antibodies and you have a completely normal EMG, he said. This could be in ocular MG, but not in someone with such severe symptoms as you describe. And it all disappeared within one day. You do not have myasthenia, He said- you have medical student's disease and an overzealous friend. And I didn't question what he said. Just continued to take mestinon as "placebo" for a few more months. Consulted one more MG expert (as my friend kept insisting on her diagnosis, and told me I need to get at least one more opinion), who thought the same. I gradually had less and less of those symptoms, needed less mestinon and totally resumed my normal life. Totally forgetting this episode for more than 15 years.
alice md is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
DesertFlower (11-14-2011)