View Single Post
Old 11-11-2011, 01:04 PM
Magnate

10 yr Member
Magnate

10 yr Member

It's not as if I rely on pain meds alone. I've posted ad nauseum about what else helps me.

The strongest pain meds aren't always the best options. I only used opiates after YEARS of "sucking it up" so it's not as if I think opiates should be the first course of action for anyone. But, if you're living in constant misery, I would keep working on a med combo until I got decent relief.

As soon as I engage in most activities my pain starts to escalate. So, it's a constant balancing act--doing enough to prevent atrophy, keep my range of motion, etc., BUT not so much as to cause severe pain, or swelling.

I spent 3 hours soaking in the tub with Epsom Salts in the middle of the night, while doing breath work last night recovering from being driven too far a distance.

I'm not in anyway trying to discount what she wrote. I'm just saying that after 10 years of having RSD, I've experienced what she wrote to various degrees over the years. Until you've tried EVERY combo of meds in varying doses and at different times, you still have a great chance at significant relief.

My meds are the same as they were a year ago, and yet my quality of life is better today. The biggest change has been my diet. I slept like a hibernating bear for years! It was still better than feeling I was being tortured 24/7, but yes, having family members check on me to make sure I was still breathing, wasn't ideal... Following the 4 F's diet is drastic, but well worth it IMO. Another irritating side effect of opiates was severe stomach irritation. But guess what--the diet change fixed that as well...

There isn't one magic formula, unfortunately.
There are a veritable plethora of med options out there, though... And so, as the saying goes, "If at first you don't succeed, Try, Try, again."
LIT LOVE is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
catra121 (11-11-2011)