View Single Post
Old 11-11-2011, 02:35 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

I'm new here and newly dx - but I've been doing alot of reading now (thanks for all the leads btw!) and I'm sitting here in utter amazement - this (MG) has obviously been going on for some time for me (probably 5-6 years or better).... and yet I had never heard of it before or even thought it odd what was going on (kept blaming stuff on getting older or just being "weird")....

even though it may not be the "first" symptom - looking back now I think it might be one of the tell-tales that maybe something was wrong: I was in an MVA in 2006 - in the ER they gave me morphine - within 45 seconds I had a doc screaming at me to take a breath and I couldn't find the strength to breathe to tell him about the wet sandbag sitting on my chest and arms (no injuries there though - just my arm broken) - I still don't know what all they shot me up with (but I was definitely a pincushion!) but afterwards the doc told me to NEVER let anyone give me morphine - I was allergic to it.... Thing is - I had never had morphine in my life / hence NO exposure to it which sort of contradicts anaphylatic shock/allergy if I understand it correctly....

I have similiar (although less dramatic thanks goodness) reactions to other pain meds and stick to aspirin or non-narcotics period and have since my mid/late 30's..... I won't even use cough syrup with codeine in it,... which has gotten me some weird looks / reactions when I've had to go to a doc: from "what do you want - the big guns like oxy or demerol for a cough" to stunned looks when I specifically refuse a narcotic prescription (even for my cluster headaches) and then ask for a non-narcotic alternative as I know my body doesn't tolerate narcotics well - all of this before I even knew what MG was let alone that I had it!
Ravenred is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote