View Single Post
Old 11-11-2011, 02:53 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alice md View Post
It was a tensilon test, and it was in the hospital. It was a teaching academic hospital, and that was why my friend could easily get him to come and see me after class. I always say that I had the most rapid diagnosis possible (before I even realized I had any symptoms) and the most delayed diagnosis, 20 years later when objective evidence for my illness was finally found.
Alice,
How similar parts of your story sounds to mine. My first symptom that I noticed was actually double vision. The neuroophthalmologist I saw said it was definitely MG--he was quite sure, but then the antibody test and EMG came back negative--so he dropped the whole issue and basically said that there was no way I could have MG, unless is was just ocular. He said it was probably a congenital 4th nerve palsy.

I went about my life and just thought my heavy arms, legs, and double vision was part of aging. I even ended up in the ER with what was probably a MG exacerbation--extreme weakness, increase dbl vision. This resolved somewhat after resting in the ER all evening. Though sxs continued for 7 years before I was diagnosed by tensilon test and response to mestinon, I had the occasional neuro tell me that it probably was MG, but there was "no decent treatment" for it anyway. So no treatment is what I received until about 18 months ago.

I've had to retire b/c I was unable to work due to my double vision and unpredictable other symptoms. I do feel better since retiring, but I feel that I've lost a lot with the delay in treatment. I thought 7 years was a long time to wait for treatment--I can't imagine 20 years!
Cate
catie is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote