View Single Post
Old 11-11-2011, 05:17 PM
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member

Hi ATorres,

This does sometimes occur after a root canal procedure but it is not "normal" and should be evaluated by your dentist asap. The root canal procedure causes additional inflammation inside of the already inflamed/infected tooth. This inflammation/infection can easily proliferate from the apex (end of the root) into the jawbone and/or the lymphatic system. This swelling usually occurs a day or so after the procedure.

The problem with this type of swelling is that you run the risk of developing what is called Ludwig's Syndrome in which the swelling could actually cut off your airway. Not trying to alarm you but please don't wait to see your dentist.

Bryanna

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATorres View Post
OK so on Monday Nov. 7 2011. I had a Root Canal done on my lower right, !st premolar or biscupid i think its called, anyway. Ive had a Root Canal before and from what i remember, everything seemed to go fine. So procedure was finished and i went home. Shortly after, the numbing went away and i felt my lower right part of the jaw, in front of the tooth with the RC, was starting to get swollen. I feel like this is normal so i just let it be. Swelling was slowly going down, but by the third day i noticed swelling right under my chin. It first started under the right side of my chin and slowly made its way towards the middle. Well Friday the 11th and pretty much most of the swelling has gone down in my face but the swelling under my chin has gotten bigger. I look i have a double chin, or had that "fatbooth" app put on me in real life. the tooth itself i still sore and painful but bearable, but unable to sleep, but the swelling under my chin has its own pain as well. Is this normal???
Bryanna is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote