View Single Post
Old 11-12-2011, 08:00 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Smith View Post
Hi Clarkstar,

I'm trying to understand the sequence of events, and I'm not sure if I have them correct or not. The way I read it:

You were taking 30 mg MS 2/day and 30 mg oxycodone 3/day.

Then for some reason, your doctor changed your prescription to 15 mg oxycodone 5/day(?)

This was insufficient to adequately control your pain, so you took 30 mg oxycodone 4/day, and now you have run out before the end of the month, and someone (the doctor or who?) refuses to prescribe any more.

Have I got it right?

Did the doctor give any reason for changing the dosage?

If I have it right, I doubt you'll be able to get anything from urgent care. Depending on local policies, you may (or may not) be able to get up to a 5 day emergency supply from your doctor or pharmacy (provided this has not happened too frequently, which in some cases can be more than once).

AFAIK, Suboxone is usually only prescribed as part of a drug treatment program. This may involve your not being able to get any opioid analgesics in the future, as in effect, you would be admitting to being an addict (I am NOT saying that you are an addict; I'm just relating what I understand the situation to be). I understand Suboxone may be being used for pain control, but it may carry a stigma with it (like methadone sometimes does).

There's a lot I don't understand here, which is why I think I may be misunderstanding what you're saying.

Doc
you had it right. the doc said he thought i was taking too much since it had risen to basically double in 4 months time. i started taking 15 mg last december or so though. plus i gained about 70 lbs since february. my pain levels keep going up, and noone has given me anything definitive about why my arm is hurting so bad. i had talked to the pa about getting on suboxone ealrier this year to wean off the oxy but i was afraid it wouldnt help me with the pain enough. otherwise i fear i will be eating 30 oxys a day for pain relief and i read online that everybody has their lives ruined by painkillers