View Single Post
Old 11-12-2011, 09:44 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponygirl View Post
are you saying, xanax is very addictive and *helped* you?!?
I guess, I'm not understanding, how it helped you, if, it made you so
anxious, you weren't able to do anything?? I mean, I'm having enough,
issues, without, taking something that will give me panic attacks,
when, I have anxiety, already???

Phyllis
My experience with Xanax. At first it worked wonders. My son was put into a facility for his psychiatric issues. I was a wreck to say the least. I was orginally prescribed three a day. It helped with my anxiety but it left me in this fog and I couldn't think right. So I cut it down and only took one at night. Occasionally one if I was having a hard time.

The addictive part is this.

My MD told me that Xanax is the "crack" of anxiety medications. I was on it for six years. I found that over time my anxiety was spiking for no reason at all. I was perplexed. My MD told me that my body is craving more Xanax. I could do two things. Take more and more or stop. I decided to wean myself off.

I will say that it was the hardest thing I ever did. It was harder than quitting smoking after twenty years. I couldn't sleep, I was a wreck. I had multiple panic attacks. But after a few weeks of dealing with it I leveled out.

So now I dont take any anxiety medications. I do take an antidepressent due to post concussion disorder. That I will discontinue when and if my brain heals.

I am now walking to ease any anxiety I have. Not only do I feel better, I look better.

I hope this helps. My anxiety is off the charts since my injury. Getting hit in the frontal part of your head can reek havok on your emotions. I have increased depression, anger and anxiety.

I have just started my walks this week. My MD said to rest if my head hurt but after four months of resting I was getting very depressed. So head pain or not I go...one foot in front of the other is my motto.

I hope this helped. Good luck...
"Thanks for this!" says:
Lara (11-13-2011)