View Single Post
Old 11-13-2011, 04:23 PM
Legendary

15 yr Member
Legendary

15 yr Member

Momma,

Do you think you are powerful enough to mess up God's plan?

I suggest you spend some time with the rehab people to understand the kind of structure your son needs. Recent research has learned that TBI subjects do quite well with electronic devices to help them maintain schedules and properly accomplish needed tasks and ADL's. It may help if he is introduced to a smart phone or other PDA device while at the transitional rehab center.

You can set up smart phones to be able to notify you of his location, etc. Have you though of applying for temporary guardianship/conservatorship until he can prove himself?

Has his neuro tried any anti-seizure drugs to see if they stabilize his ADD better than stimulants. I was on phenobarb as a teen and it did a good job of settling me down. The phenobarb was for absence seizures but it also smoothed out my day. Not as intense as I was previously.

Has anybody suggested that he might benefit from looking into vocational opportunities where he works alone on projects, especially projects that require manual work? I bet he has some schizoid tendencies (a loner due to struggles to understand others) Maybe a motorcycle mechanic or some such job where he earns his pay by piecework or commission?? The ability to do the job at the speed he needs to do it at can be worthwhile.

I do not work well under time pressures. If I set my own pace I can get tasks done well and sometimes quickly. If someone else sets the pace, I stress out and crash. I would not be surprised if he has similar issues.

I do best with hands-on jobs. My hands set the pace which is always slower than my brain's limits. Jobs that require lots of verbal interaction are a lot tougher for me.

Have you read the TBI Survival Guide? It is at www.tbiguide.com It is a great resource for yourself and anybody who needs to work with your son who does not understand TBI.

You may have some challenges ahead but nothing more than God will choose for you to endure.

When you think you are starting to mess up God's plan, just back off and Be Still or Cease Striving (Psalms 46:10) and let God work.

If you ever want to discuss things privately, you can post to my profile page and I can email you back. You will not have PM or email privileges until you have posted a minimum number of posts. I don't know how many that is. You also need to enable PM's and email in your profile settings.

My best to you.

"Be still and know that I am God" Psalm 46:10
Mark in Idaho is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
MommaH4 (11-13-2011)