Thread: aches and pains
View Single Post
Old 11-14-2011, 12:18 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default Myalgia

Yes. Yes. Yes.

My physician calls it myalgia. This just means "muscle pain". I asked if it is in fact Fibromyagia, since I also suffer from Chromic Fatigue Syndrome (all of this caused by the head trauma), but I lack the pressure-point markers that are part of the current diagnosis for FM. So we just call it myalgia.

It hurts, that's all I know.

I have had this generalized achiness since the accident 35 years ago. I now take opiate meds to control the pain. I must generally take Oxycodone every 2-3 hours to function at all.

I have a theory on this, if anyone's interested...I believe that CFS is a prolonged and exaggerated immune response, where the body tries to fight an infectious agent which is not really there (or is there but not an actual threat). One of the immune mechanisms is creating intense joint and/or muscular pain. This confers an adaptative advantage since it compels the organism to curtail physical activity and forces it to rest. In the case of Chronic Fatigue, the body never gets the stop signal, so the pain and other symptoms continue.

(Alternately, the sensation of pain is produced in the central nervous system by somehow lowering the body's pain threshhold, so that ordinary sensory signals from the muscles is interpreted as pain. Whether the pain is myopathic or CNS-myalgic, it's still basically an inappropriate immune response with no "off" switch).

Last edited by Kenjhee; 11-14-2011 at 04:26 AM.
Kenjhee is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote