View Single Post
Old 11-14-2011, 03:32 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark in Idaho View Post
I applaud Mike Matheny for his courage to make the hard choice to stop playing. His new position as Manager for the St Louis Cardinals says nothing about his level of recovery. I bet he stays away from any training where he risks getting beaned by a ball. He would do well to wear a batting helmet when on or near an active playing field.

His recovery is still in progress. Many of the delayed symptoms of PCS start showing up in the mid 40's. Hope he does not have to deal with these delayed symptoms.
The word recovery seems to get used in different ways, depending on the context. I don't doubt that Matheny has suffered some permanent loss of brain capacity. It's also possible that he may have some recurrence of PCS issues or symptoms down the road.

However, it seems clear that he's "recovered" in the sense that he has been well enough to work for a couple of years in the Cards' front office, and has now won the competition for a much-sought-after managerial position, a job with many high-level cognitive and social demands.

Considering that early on in his PCS recovery he was having trouble playing with his kids, doing household chores, climbing a set of stairs, and remembering where his wallet and keys were, and had significant cognitive issues, this seems to me to be remarkable and inspiring progress.
greenfrog is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote