View Single Post
Old 11-14-2011, 07:04 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gramato3 View Post
Hi, Im sorry to hear that you are having problems. I have some questions, as you are further along in recovery than I am if you don't mind. I had c3 thru c7 acdf surgery and bone spurs removed on August 25, 2011. My neck is fantastic, have almost complete range of motion and a lot of the pain is gone. I use a lot of heat and tens unit at home, have finished pt and it really helped me. the exercises aggravate me a bit. BUT my major problem is my voice. It is raspy, it disappears and is very weak. No one can hear me and i am getting very discouraged. I have a follow up visit on 12/27 with my neuro and he said if it isn't better he wants me to see an eye ear nose and throat dr. I really do not want any more surgery but what else is there ? I am not even over the first one yet. Does the discomfort across the shoulders and shouler baleds ever go away or am I expecting too much too soon? Thank you. Hope you get relief soon.
Hi again, just answered you on your other post, before reading this one. LOL

I'm at 8 months post op now. And actually I think you are doing better in your recovery then I am. I still have a lot of pain, shoulders, neck, traps, and I also have 2 more nerves being compressed in my arm. (my ulnar nerve in my elbow and median nerve in wrist) Like you I don't want more surgery, so I'm trying to cope and learn to live with it, but haven't been back to work with this yet. Will find out next month about that.

I have only gone 1/2 way through my PT, wasn't allowed to start (my neurosurgeon's orders) until the 6 mth post op mark. I have about 6 wks left. It's helping a bit, but like you the exercises aggravate things.

I am better then I was 3 mths ago, better yet then before surgery, but still not near 100%. You call it discomfort in your shoulders? Mine is pure pain., plus the neuropathy down my right arm is horrible, still have tingling and numb fingers.

Hang in there, sounds like you are doing well except for your voice, hopefully that will heal itself in time. If it isn't one thing it's another with these cervical recoveries. Have you tried a naturopathic doctor for your voice? Maybe they have something herbal that will help relax the inflammed vocal cords and give your voice some strength back? I go to a naturopath for acupuncture (pain relief) and she had some great herbal suggestions also.

Keep in touch, hope you feel better soon.
Cathie
cath1 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote