View Single Post
Old 11-15-2011, 01:11 PM
Senior Member (**Dr Smith is named after a character from Lost in Space, not a medical doctor)

10 yr Member
Senior Member (**Dr Smith is named after a character from Lost in Space, not a medical doctor)

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsD View Post
There is a connection between the thyroid and adrenals.

If you suspect adrenal fatigue, you should have testing done at the doctors, to see what your hormone levels are.

"Adrenal fatigue" is a term that pops up commonly on the net, and may or may not be actually present. It is very subjective as far as patients go.
FWIW, I was aware of the connection; the whole endocrine system is connected in one way or another. I wasn't aware of any of it several years back, but one of the doctors I was seeing apparently was, because it was she who ordered much of the initial testing. At the time, I was admittedly ignorant (if it were anyone else, I'd soften that to "naïve", but it is what it is ) and when I heard the word "hormones" the walls went up and I ran for the hills. It was several years more before I caught up on the knowledge curve.

Anyway, I did get retested, along with a few add'l tests from what I'd learned since. My thyroid levels were quite good - the kind the doctor comments, "I have patients who'd pay money to have results like this." (Oddly that phrase seems to be making the rounds among medicos - heard it several times within the same year.) My adrenal hormones, however, were in the proverbial pooper.
Quote:
The term "adrenal fatigue" may be applied to a collection of medically unexplained symptoms, but there is no scientific evidence supporting the concept of "adrenal fatigue" and it is not recognized as an actual diagnosis by the medical community. This is distinct from recognized forms of adrenal dysfunction such as adrenal insufficiency or Addison's Disease.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adrenal_fatigue
This was the case with my own doctor, so I instead suggested "adrenal insufficiency", which the tests bore out and the doctor could/would work with.

Doc

Dr. Smith is NOT a medical doctor. He was a character from LOST IN SPACE.
All opinions expressed are my own. For medical advice/opinion, consult your doctor.
Dr. Smith is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote