View Single Post
Old 11-15-2011, 01:40 PM
Senior Member (**Dr Smith is named after a character from Lost in Space, not a medical doctor)

10 yr Member
Senior Member (**Dr Smith is named after a character from Lost in Space, not a medical doctor)

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by misterkatamari View Post
I really doubt surgery is going to be the best thing for me. I basically have to wait and see what this neurosurgeon says, to see if I can maaaybe get surgery some time, so that it maybe get rid of the herniated disk, so that I can maaaybe feel better, possibly.
I see no harm in that. Being aware of all options (or as many as you can) is laudable and prudent (and helpful in explaining things to all the well-meaning folks who you know haven't got a clue. )
Quote:
20 Things NOT To Say To Someone In Chronic Pain

1. You Don't Look Sick
2. Maybe If You Got Our More......
3. You Can Learn To Live With It
4. You'll Just Have To Tough It Out!
5. It Is All In Your Head
6. You Are Just Having A Bad Day
7. This Too Shall Pass
8. Just Get More Exercise
9. It Can't Be That Bad
10. It Must Be Neat Not To Have To Work......
11. Just Be More Positive
12. It Could Be Worse
13. There's People Worse Off Than You
14. Maybe If You Loose Some Of The Weight
15. I Will LOVE To Stay Home And Get Paid For It!!
16. Maybe If You Skip Your Medication You Will Be Able To Go Out
17. Be Careful! You Are Going To Become An Addict Taking All Of Those Medications!
18. Hey, At Least You Get Early Retirement, You Are Soooo Lucky!!
19. You Should Just Take Some Tylenol Or Aleve, It Works For My Back Pain!
20. You Need To Be Taken Off All Of Those Meds, And Be Admitted To A Rehab Facility!
http://www.dailystrength.org/c/Chron...things-not-say
but things change over time (you may get worse or even better via some natural healing). Another thing to keep in mind, which I learned here and later confirmed with my orthopedic surgeon, is that surgery can correct physical defects, but it cannot (or usually does not) cure pain (very few exceptions noted). One initial surgery can also often lead to more surgeries along the road/journey. While there are success stories, there are also scads of stories here from folks who wish they'd never gotten that first surgery.

Doc

Dr. Smith is NOT a medical doctor. He was a character from LOST IN SPACE.
All opinions expressed are my own. For medical advice/opinion, consult your doctor.
Dr. Smith is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
ginnie (11-16-2011)