View Single Post
Old 03-23-2007, 08:28 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Are you by chance anywhere near Cleveland?

There is a great Occupational Therapist I know of there who is the one who helped me with my mostly frozen shoulder going.

My experience has been if you have problems with your shouler/arm, an Occupational Therapist is better than a PT.

This one is really great with RSD people too.... Since there is a really famous RSD doc at the Cleveland CLinic where this OT works, she gets a LOT of RSD people from his practice. She said all the OT people at the Cleveland Clinic are experienced, but the head OT person scheduled me with this one woman, saying "she's the best!"... I had to wait a couple months to get into her rotation because I had to go at a certain time to be back in Columbus in time for working 2nd shift the same day. Well worth it. She worked with me on setting up exercises for 2-3 weeks at a time since I lived far away.

I am about a hour from Columbus. I drive nearly 3 hours to get to Cleveland for Occupational Therapy from this woman because I can't find anyone even close to her experience near me. She is just great. Plus, an OT will help you figure out how to do things with your arm like it is... such as better ways to put on clothing, wash your hair, all the things that are very hard to do with a partly frozen shoulder.

She also devised exercises for me to do all day long while doing other things.. like using the door in my car to stretch, a shopping cart if you are at the grocery.. any doorframe you are near... she was quite inventive!! I have almost all the movement back in my arm now. Once the winter weather is over, I'll start going back once a month or so for more exercises.

If you have had this condition very long, you might be seeing grooved nails on your bad hand, or other changes in your nails. I have always had beautiful strong nails. Now, they are ridged. I want so bad to file them off smooth, but I have to keep them ridged for "proof" as docs are always looking at them. One reason I know it's moved to the other shoulder is that the other hand has grooved nails now.

One thing that has REALLY helped me is a really good massage therapist. If you live near central Ohio, I would recommend the one I go to. They can loosen up the muscles of frozen shoulder, and help you work with it. IF you have RSD, massage can really help if you don't have the sensitivity to touch.. and sounds like you don't. The RSD doc I went to in Cleveland that sent me to the occupational therapist said that the Clev. Clinic recent research is showing that massage therapy may turn out to be a key treatment. She was very interested in mine, as I have been going since my injury. I know my therapist well, and she helped me get over my first round of RSD I had in my foot in 2001. I don't think many people here go to one... but I can say that I am still working, have not developed skin sensitivity, and although I am in considerable pain, I do tolerate it without being on the "major" pain meds. I do attribute this to massage, as it seems to be one thing I have done both times that others have not. I had a half sister with RSD, and hers spread too, but she was WAY worse than I am. She could not take it and is no longer with us. I think it's a bit genetic with me, as our father had a lot of nerve related pain.... maybe even RSD that was not diagnosed from what I remember of his symptoms. He broke his back, and had a spinal fusion of some sort back in the 50's and was able to walk, work etc.. but his one leg would swell, turn bright red, his nails on his feet and hands were VERY grooved... some of the things I remember. Anyway, it may be worth trying massage. Try to find one who knows Cranial Sacral therapy. They have more knowledge than others. That's what mine says I should tell people anyway! They have to have a certain level of expertise before they can take Cranial Sacral therapy classes.

Jules
daylilyfan is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote