View Single Post
Old 11-15-2011, 06:36 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default gramato3

I am glad that you feel a bit better after reading the posts. Believe it or not there is no real "normal". Everyone heals at a different rate and has varying amount of pain. Much of the difference occurs because we have all had surgery at different points in our lives. Some have a low tolerance for pain while others have a higher. I was told 24 -48 hours in the hospital. I was in for 5-6 days due to swelling and swallowing issues. I had to go n oral steroids to decrease the swelling. In the hospital, I just laughed at the nurse when she replied can I help you after I pressed the buzzer. She figured out that she needed to come to the room. Then when I requested pain meds, she came with a pill. I told her that I needed a shot and couldn't swallow. It took a while, but they came with the shot and it took a few days then I moved to crushed pills in applesauce. By the time I left I could swallow with sorbet a small pill. My surgery was 12/9/2011 so it was hard being able to take a walk outside due to the snow and cold. I did try to walk in the house. I thought I would go back to work in 6-8 weeks. I went back on 2/14/2011 for a week and then had a week off. I was totally exhausted afterwards. Just remember, everyday is a new day. Hopefully you are not in the pain that caused you to have the surgery. I had ACDF C5-6 6-7. I was finally doing really well this past summer and beginning to have my life again. I was ready and excited to start work as a teacher. Then on Sept 2nd I was rear ended. September was tough but October was a bit better. I am still suffering from sever whiplash. Going to PT 2-3x a week. I am still getting muscle spasms (pins and needles across my neck, shoulders) and major knots all over. My lower back is also sore which I never had. I just had a new cervical MRI done, waiting for the results. Hope you have a better day.
frenchfri1003 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote