View Single Post
Old 11-16-2011, 11:05 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

In my county, they have a county government office that deals with Aging. I went there and a woman who helps seniors with supplemental insurance and medicare talked to me about what to do when I get Medicare in July 2011. She told me I had to wait until I was on Medicare to sign up for supplemental. But, I think she also said you had to sign up within a certain time frame, or you would not be eligible. I am not sure on that - but I know she told me to come see her as soon as the Medicare kicked in so she could help me pick a provider and get signed up.

So you may want to check into this ASAP.

The different supplementals cover different medications at different rates. So you will want to see which one would be the least expensive according to what medications your wife takes. At least that is what this woman told me.

See if your county has an aging office. She knew about SSDI, SSI, etc as well as for retired people.

If the doctor does not take Medicare, perhaps they would take the supplemental.
I also went to a "pain management" doc who insisted I do a drug test, $400 before he would talk to me. I walked out. They stopped me in the lobby and said he would talk to me after all. I found out all he was doing was pushing SCS too. Told me he has lots of experience - does a couple every morning. He also said that SCS is the only cure known for RSD. (What?? That is plain wrong!) Some of the things he told me about the SCS were way off - like I could get mine implanted, recover there in the surgery center, then drive myself 3 hours home. I knew from reading on this board that your not supposed to drive for quite a while after the surgery. I practically ran out of there after that.
daylilyfan is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote