View Single Post
Old 11-16-2011, 11:46 PM
Senior Member (**Dr Smith is named after a character from Lost in Space, not a medical doctor)

10 yr Member
Senior Member (**Dr Smith is named after a character from Lost in Space, not a medical doctor)

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeuroLogic View Post
One night about a month ago, when I had my worst sleep in years, the PN burning and prickling was the worst I'd ever experienced. I'm gradually becoming more and more convinced of cortisol's importance for nerve health.
My PN began after several years of chronic pain. I'm not quick/ready to conclude cause & effect, nor dismiss it; I will start looking into it further. Coincidentally, some of the supplements recommended in the article (vitamin E, R-Lipoic Acid, grape seed extract, N-Acetyl-Cysteine (NAC)) are familiar to folks in this forum. I had already been taking NAC, and when I learned of RLA's potential benefits, I started that too, and all of the burning and most of the prickling/shocks ceased within days.
http://neurotalk.psychcentral.com/thread130991.html
I experienced further improvement after adding pantothenic acid (B5) to the regimen.

I learned about cortisol's (and other adrenal hormones') connection to chronic pain from several articles by Dr. Forest Tennant. As recommended in one of those articles, I had my cortisol levels checked (along with testosterone & pregnenolone). "Adrenal Fatigue" is not recognized by most of the medical community, but "adrenal insufficiency" is, so that was the approach I took with my doctor, as my tests were extremely low in all three. I began supplementing them by taking pregnenolone with B5 (which I was already taking with the RLA) which is converted to all the other adrenal hormones internally.
http://neurotalk.psychcentral.com/thread156416.html

Since you're on-board with the article you originally posted, you might look into trying RLA & B5 for your PN pain.

Doc

Dr. Smith is NOT a medical doctor. He was a character from LOST IN SPACE.
All opinions expressed are my own. For medical advice/opinion, consult your doctor.
Dr. Smith is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote