View Single Post
Old 11-17-2011, 02:01 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

I've had an Idiopathic, progressive, sensory, symmetrical, polyneuropathy for 11 years. My PCP and neurologist tried every off-label drug in the chronic pain pharmacopeia. Finally they sent me to a pain clinic. This is where you need to be, at least until you can manage the pain on your own rather than allowing it to manage you. Once you have the pain under control, your family doc may be willing to take on the regular prescription refills with occasional Pain Clinic referrals as needed. One thing you need to understand, and I still struggle with this myself, is a cause may never be found and you will probably always have some degree of pain, all day, and every day. That being the case, you and the docs are left with comfort measures. For example, Lidocaine ointment rubbed into aching feet can tamp things down to a tolerable level. Having failed the normal pain management drugs, the doc at the clinic prescribed low-dose Methadone as a long-term, maintenance narcotic at the lowest clinically proven therapeutic dose. This allows plenty of room to move over the next 30-40 years before I find myself shuffling off this mortal coil. I use a short-acting narcotic for the inevitable break-through pain. Even so, I still have days when I don't want to walk very much and life pretty much stinks. Doesn't mean there aren't some good days here and there. Hang in there--you can eventually arrive
at some degree of acceptance of an unchangeable situation once you manage the pain.

Quote:
Originally Posted by maquoketa View Post
I have had this pain for 4 years now, and am getting now where. I had originally has surgery on both my ankles thinking it was tarsal tunnel...Now to find out I was diagnosed with Small Fiber Neuropathy. I have been tested for everything to find out the cause, they have no clue..I have been on every kind of medicine, and there is NOTHING that is giving me ANY relief. My neurologist will not give me any type of pain medicine and I am afraid to go to a regular doctor for fear they will turn my away due to me already being seen by a neurologist. I am currently taking 2 25mg lyrica pills a day plus 800mg ibup and tylenol but I am getting no relief. Does anyone have any suggestions on what to do? I am 36 yr old and I dont know how much more of this I can take..I can barely stand to be on my feet at all and they ever hurt while I sit..I am in the process of going thru disability but am being told I will be denied due to my age and being able to do a job while not standing 8 hours a day...ANY help would be appreciated!!
pispnman is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote