View Single Post
Old 11-17-2011, 02:40 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Question Can crashing after mega-prednisone dose bring on depression?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kage12 View Post
I tend to agree with AliceMD. So many doctors seem a little too eager to push anti-depressants when they don't know what's going on with their patients. My first neuro actually prescribed an anti-depressant that is on the "do not take" list for MG! Granted I wasn't dxd at the time, but he suspected it (ordered my first AChR binding that was just barely negative). For me, it was a no go. I tried it because he felt it would help my FMS pain. What it did, and others before it (many years ago), was left me lethargic, slow, and foggy. If I saw any pain relief I don't know, cause I didn't care about anything. I stopped after only about 3 days. Personally, I don't recommend it unless you are truly convinced that you are suffering from true depression.

I have Sjogren's, Hystoplasmosis, FMS, PN, etc. On the fourth of July, in the midst of a severe respiratory condition, I drew the on-call substitute doc instead of my regular provider. The drugstore was out of the 4mg Medrol dosepak, so they & the doc agreed to substitute 80MG straight prednisone instead. Needless to say . . . I was gianormously wired (to put it mildly) for four days until I was able to see my provider who put me on a taper for three weeks.

Now . . . I'm at the other end of the spectrum in some sort of pit or other . . . not wanting to get out of bed, or cook, clean, bathe, or anything for that matter.

Of course doctors all consider the half-life of prednisone and say there's no way it could be still affecting me, but with autoimmune wierdness and atypical drug reactions galore . . . my mind & emotions tell me otherwise . . .

Am I off the wall in my thinking or could this be the reason for my depression? I'm NOT having fun yet
Exodus is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote