View Single Post
Old 11-18-2011, 03:27 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default Anti-MAG neuropathy & Rituxan

I've been diagnosed with Anti-MAG neuropathy for about 10 years now. It has been slowly progressing with increased numbness in feet & lower legs, balance problems, decreased coordination in my hands, severe Restless Legs Syndrome, muscle cramps in my feet & legs, and decreased stamina. I am still working part-time doing office work (getting hard to keyboard and write), and some volunteer Parish Nursing.

I was first diagnosed at the age of 46, and I'm female, so I am also an oddity. IVIG helped for about 5 years, but then was not very effective, so I stopped getting the infusions.

I found a wonderful neurologist in Seattle at Virginia Mason Medical Center (VM) and just had my first Rituxan infusion yesterday. I was surprised that my insurance covered it - finally. I will be getting 3 more infusions a week apart. The infusion was done at the Outpatient Infusion Center at VM and all went well. When I got home I had some fever/chills, and this morning I felt weak, but am feeling better now (several hours later). I am hoping that Rituxan will be beneficial.

My advice to anyone living apart from a large city with a teaching/research hospital is - you must go to a neurologist who has seen & treated this rather rare condition in order to be properly diagnosed and treated.

I'm very thankful that it is SLOWLY progressive!

Blessings to all of you,
NancyKay
NancyKay is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Zaphodbeeblebrox (12-23-2011)