View Single Post
Old 11-18-2011, 07:40 PM
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member

Hi fed up,

By any chance did the extracted tooth have a root canal in the past?

Infected teeth in the upper jaw can not only infect the sinuses but the infection can proliferate further into the head. Most of the time the infection in the sinus is not from the actual extraction, it is from the infected tooth. Sometimes the infected areas are neglected during the extraction or it is difficult to surgically debride the area completely.

Latent infections of this type are generally surgically debrided through an incision in the gum area and/or through the nasal passage. They can be very serious and can spread to other areas of the head. This infection should not be ignored, so please follow through with your ENT doctor and another oral surgeon that perhaps this ENT guy could recommend to you.

Please keep us posted on what's happening...
Bryanna

Quote:
Originally Posted by fed_up View Post
Hi, I had my upper molar removed almost two months ago. I had a bad infection in the tooth and I was given a course of antibiotics before the extraction.

Two - three weeks passed and the gum area healed well but I started to get pain and uncomfortable feeling in my jaw and cheek.

Then my teeth felt all sensitive as if they were going to fall out and it was an awful feeling. The dentist sent me for an x-ray and we could see that my sinus area was all white and he said this was an infection in the maxillary sinus.

The first set of antibiotics (I was on for a week -zenat), did nothing, i was then switched to amoxycillan, still with no signs of getting any better, my cheek swelled and was very red and hot to touch. Went to my GP by the third week and was given Doxycycline, antihistimene, nasal spay and painkillers, fast forward two further weeks down the line and I am still sitting here with the same problem/ feeling of infection and nothing seems to be getting rid of this.

I have been referred to ear nose and throat at the hospital and now waiting on a CT scan.

I am suffering and feel so tired so fed up of feeling ill like this. Does anyone have any tips or advice or been through anything like this before?

I am normally a healthy person but ever since this tooth extraction my health has really gone down hill and i'm fed up of having a swollen sore cheek, feels like this uncomfortable feeling will never leave.

Not sure if my sinus has also been perforated. Would be really useful if anyone had any advice. Thanks
Bryanna is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
ginnie (11-19-2011)