View Single Post
Old 11-20-2011, 07:30 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Mark, what I meant was that I understand Crosby has been exerting himself 100% in practice without subjectively experiencing any symptoms. The reports from his practice sessions are reportedly very positive.

Further, I believe that Collins and Carrick are being ultra-cautious with Crosby (their reputations are on the line, for one thing). I do not believe they would be clearing him to play had he reported experiencing *any* symptoms in recent weeks. I imagine that Crosby has been consulting medical doctors as well, though probably not the Penguins doctors that idiotically cleared him to play almost immediately after his first concussion in January.

However, I am not saying that I believe Crosby's brain is fully recovered, that he has the same resilience as before, or that he will be able to play at 100% of his former ability. All of this remains to be seen. The evidence certainly suggests that he is now at greater risk of injury from a further concussion (and possibly sub-concussive impacts).

Patrice Bergeron comes to mind as one hockey player who was out for a lengthy period with a concussion (almost a year, I believe) and is back in action playing at a high level. Other athletes have tried to come back from lengthy concussions but have encountered difficulties, and some have had to retire (eg, Corey Koskie, Mike Matheny, Paul Kariya).
greenfrog is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote