10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrubbs View Post
This might help you make up your mind.

http://www.webmd.com/heart/astragalu...s-side-effects

Tony
Astragalus is one of those herbs that I read of contradictory effects on MG, when I can find any MG info at all. I see in this article that it is not recommended for those of us with MG. I also find magnesium in this list of things to be avoided, but find magnesium supplements and/or high magnesium foods very helpful for my MG symptoms, so much that I need less mestinon when I take magnesium supplements.

I tried Astragalus tea, and am not sure how helpful it is. It seemed to make so that I had less ups and downs in my symptoms, which was nice but I found this result odd. It truly seemed to make so that I had no crashes but it also limited my extra good days. I drank it as a tea once a week for about three months. I still drink it on occasion, when I feel weaker than usual. I think my symptoms have steadied off with the help of this tea, but definitely have not gone away. I noticed a definite decrease in the number of times when my body goes suddenly weak and I end up on the floor, but, you know how MG is, maybe it was just one of my better times. I don't want to come to a concustion without trying it weekly again for a while.

I did experience a side effect...when I tried astragalus tea more often that once a week it gave me minor headaches, which is why I decided to stop drinking it regularly. Headaches are not a good sign.

In my experiments with tea and herbs, I discovered that Red Raspberry tea does wonders for MG (no miracle cure, lol, just helps ease the symptoms some), much more than astragalus or any other thing I have tried besides magnesium and vitamin B12, and with no side effects at all, and helps with other things, too, such as menstrual cramps (no pain at all!! The most amazing thing if you are a woman!).

Of course, I am not a doctor, and don't want to recommend anything to others...please talk to your doctor before trying any herbs. My neuro told me to go ahead, but also told me that there was nothing he knew of that would be helpful, and so I experiment slowly. I do wish I knew more people who tried herbs and foods as medicine...but please be careful if you do so.

Thanks for asking Rdmorena.

DesertFlower is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote