View Single Post
Old 11-21-2011, 05:38 PM
Senior Member (**Dr Smith is named after a character from Lost in Space, not a medical doctor)

10 yr Member
Senior Member (**Dr Smith is named after a character from Lost in Space, not a medical doctor)

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaine View Post
I haven't yet googled the combo you recommended and hopfully it will show me a workshop.
Just copy (Ctrl-c) exactly what's in bold letters and paste (Ctrl-v) directly into a google search window.

Quote:
My husband does go to many of my appointments, but he just blocks them all out now. He blocks out my pain, and focuses on my behavor instead. Its sad - we've both done that to each other.
I sort of understand that, and I don't. When I was very young and foolish, I accidentally stepped on my (then) fiancees glasses and broke them. Having perfect eyesight (at the time) I was insensitive how important they were to her - not realizing how blind she was without them, and putting a low priority on getting them fixed. The next time I came home from work she was in tears because she couldn't see to do anything. To try to understand (and perhaps as some kind of penance) I went blindfolded for a day, and it (pardon the ironic humor) opened my eyes.

It's a lesson neither of us have ever forgotten. Now in later life, we're both extremely sensitive to each others' pain & suffering, accompany each other to doctors (and take notes/ask questions) and act as mutual caregivers.

I don't know if it would help for him to monitor/join some caregiver support groups, or talk to some spouses in similar situations. I can imagine some things that may be going through his mind, and IMO, he needs to be set straight.

My best wishes for you both,

Doc

Dr. Smith is NOT a medical doctor. He was a character from LOST IN SPACE.
All opinions expressed are my own. For medical advice/opinion, consult your doctor.
Dr. Smith is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
adelina (11-21-2011), ginnie (12-01-2011)