View Single Post
Old 11-22-2011, 07:59 AM
Elder

15 yr Member
Elder

15 yr Member
Default Chronic Illness--Educating Loved Ones

My friend sent me a link to an article about our families' expectations of those who have chronic illnesses, specifically during the holidays. Can't find the link, but there were some good points which got me thinking.

First the caveat: Not everybody WANTS to be educated. And although the suggestion to "print something out" and hand it to friends and family is probably a good idea, I can't see myself doing it. I'd feel like I was shoving my complaints and excuses in their faces.

Anyway, here some gaps in education:

They know I'm easily fatigued, but they DON'T know that sometimes doing a couple loads of laundry OR cooking a meal is ALL I can do in one day.

They know I go to bed early, but they DON'T know that sometimes my day is over at 4 p.m.

They know I have trouble getting around, but they DON'T know that their little kid or little dog or scatter rug might land me on my face.

They know that I have "tummy" problems, but they DON'T know that I flat out CAN'T eat the creamed onions no matter how many times they insist that I just "try" one.

They know that I avoid "crowds", but they DON'T know that three conversations going on at the table with the kids playing in the background locks up my brain, cause a panic attack, and/or makes me feel like I've run a marathon.

They know that I have "bad legs", but they DON'T know that I might have to try four different chairs before I find one that doesn't cause my thigh muscles to spasm, and that I have to sit on the outside because I'm very likely to have to get up and move around a few times.

(to be continued)

**My flesh and my heart may fail, but God is the strength of my heart and my portion forever. (Psalm 73:26)
Blessings2You is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
aussiemom (11-22-2011), Debbie D (11-22-2011), hollym (11-22-2011), Judy2 (11-29-2011), karousel (11-22-2011), Kitt (11-22-2011), TwoKidsTwoCats (11-22-2011)