View Single Post
Old 11-22-2011, 03:21 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default Been there

Hi Mike,
I am so sorry to hear about the struggle you have been having - lack of support from your boss and co-workers in dealing with an illness can feel devastating, while you are in it. The year leading up to getting a diagnosis and getting scheduled for my MVD was really bad, and other people on my project team were pretty merciless, and thought that I was an idiot becuase they didn't know me before it started, and I was highly medicated. Some people out there seem to smell blood and attack you at the first sign of weakness. That doesn't say very much about humankind.
I am wondering, as a teacher, does your job come with a 'cafeteria plan' of different types of coverage and insurance, including disability? You should check into this immediately - it helps establish a paper trail that you are sick, and will provide you with short-term, and then possibly long-term coverage.
You should also be covered by FMLA (Family Medical Leave Act) - once your PTO runs out, you may use this to take sporadic or consecutive work days off, without pay. You could begin to use it immediately if you so choose, to lengthen your sick leave, for example. I think it's a national government plan. Also begin the paperwork for this - the application for it should also create a paper trail, even if you don't need it immediately. Get on these things, because once you start showing (through paperwork) that you have a verifiable illness, you would have a very decent leg to stand on in court if they were to try to terminate you for some other trumped up reason. Also, I beleive that they would then have to keep your job open for a year before they can terminate you.
I am going to PM you with my email, because I don't come onto this site very often, and usually can only type a bit before needing to get off the computer.
I am now on both private (from my work's disability coverage) long-term disability, and gov't long term disability as well. If you have any questions about this process, (it is a long and difficult one, but because of it we are able to keep our house and still live ok financially). But you can always write to me and ask how it's all done.
Wishing you the best,
Lily
Mylastnerve is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Burntmarshmallow (11-22-2011)