View Single Post
Old 11-22-2011, 05:04 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by betsykk View Post
Very exciting. Can you give details on where you purchased the unit and what you do for your treatment?

Liz
The first thing you need to do is determine the most effective protocol for you pain (The placement of the electrodes). The protocols can be easily found. I started by doing a Pub Med search of Transcranial Deep Current Stimulation/upper limb CRPS. Some of the studies were readily available and others I obtained. You may purchase articles of interest or find someone who is either a staff member or student at a large university that has a medical school. The protocols are contained in the methodology section of the articles. You may also do a search of just protocols.

The equipment used for my original treatment at Beth Israel in NYC was an Ionto Phoresis unit by Iomed. By the time I decided to treat myself this particular unit had been discontinued. The unit I use now is advertised as the replacement unit for the Iomed model. The device is a Trivarion Activa Dose Phoresor. The wires needed are standard TENS unit wires. The electrodes are square sponge electrodes, which must be soaked in Saline solution. They are held in place with ace bandages.

I have used two different protocols. Both were helpful, but the current one has been more helpful. When I first underwent treatment is was a series of five day treatments each lasting twenty minutes. I currently treat twice a day for twenty minutes. When I am seeing no additional benefit I will stop treatment.

Please keep in mind that this is not a cure. Benefits eventually wear off but then the treatment is repeated.

Hope this info is helpful!

Last edited by ballerina; 11-22-2011 at 06:56 PM. Reason: omission
ballerina is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
ginnie (04-01-2012), kathy d (11-22-2011)