Thread: Exercise for PN
View Single Post
Old 11-22-2011, 11:21 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default Exercise for PN

I've recently been diagnosed with PN; my version is so far limited to my feet. I have some numbness and a little burning now and then, but I count myself truly lucky when I read what others suffer with!

I'm 55, have always hiked and backpacked, and would like to keep doing these things for the next 10 or 15 years (of course!)

I'm trying several things:

1. I've stepped up (no pun intended) exercises involving my feet and lower legs -- heel and toe lifts, sideways lunges, knee bends, a kind of heel-and-toe sideways walk.

2. I massage my feet vigorously in the evening, hoping to increase blood flow and keep the tissues (and nerves) as healthy as possible. I'll start soaking them in warm epsom-salt water as soon as I get a basin...

3. When I have to sit I fidget. Tap my feet, wriggle them, stomp on the floor a bit. So far my workmates have not said anything ...

Sitting seems to be the worst for me. I drive for 6 hours (two 3-hour stretches) about every other week, and sometimes at the end of that my feet burn worse than usual. So, again, I'm trying to stay on cruise control and fidget around, tho' one must stay ready to hit the brake as needed.

What do other people do? What seems to help the most?
Don_S is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote