View Single Post
Old 11-23-2011, 01:49 AM
Magnate

10 yr Member
Magnate

10 yr Member
Smile Accident prone/Burning incidents

This has been an issue for several years. A combination of strenght problems, muscle spasms and coordination issues has made cooking slightly scary, but in addition to those issues, I also don't register heat normally anymore and it seems once I do, I'm unable to react as quickly. Now, I'm finding that my hands seem to overreact to heat as well. For example, when just passing my hand over a steaming pot, they turn bright red, feel similar to second degree burns (which I've had several times) and remain hot. I have burning pain constantly, but this is different. I've experienced color changes and shiny skin, but this is going from normal to fire engine red in a matter of a few seconds. Actually, I think I saw the color change, before I felt the pain. Taking breakthrough pain meds returned me to baseline levels and there was no lasting issues. It seems like the way my body responds to heat is becoming more dysfunctional. Problems with cold temps seem to be increasing as well. If I try to hold something cold from the fridge, my hands register it like it's from the freezer. So while I couldn't handle prolonged exposure to cold in the past, now any contact is a problem. I was lucky to discover glasses with plastic grips that I can use for tea and cold drinks, which has helped at least with that.

Has anyone else experienced these same issues? Did you develop them earlier on? Have they continued to get worse? I'm 10 years post onset, btw.

I'm concerned that it's just a matter of time before I have a serious burn. I've had countless small ones... Losing the ability to cook would force me to have to have help with much greater frequency... Something I'd prefer to avoid for as long as possible. I'm not sure if I'm gambling that nothing bad will happen, or if I'm being paranoid...

Thanks in advance!
LIT LOVE is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote