Thread: Exercise for PN
View Single Post
Old 11-23-2011, 08:05 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
...wear shoes that do not compress the tops of your feet. That's where most of the nerves to the toes are...
That's good information -- I didn't know that. It sounds like my work shoes are headed for the trash, as they lace pretty tightly! I'm due for some new ones anyway.

Quote:
You might try 100 mg. R-Lipoic Acid and 500 mg. Pantothenic Acid (vitamin B5) every morning for the burning pain; it virtually eliminated mine.
Thanks for the welcome, Dr. Smith. I'll probably take your advice and start R-lipoic acid; I'm already taking acetyl-L-carnitine. But I've not seen a neurologist yet, and my GP didn't make any recommendations...should I wait? Then again, I think both the ALCAR and RLA are pretty much can't-hurt-you supplements when taken in reasonable dosages?

Has anyone been given an exercise regime by a physical therapist?

My mother has had PN for 9 years, though it was diagnosed only after she experienced foot drop. Her motor control below the knee is poor, her ankles buckle, and she uses a walker. Only recently did a PT give her exercises -- toe raises.

I hiked on the White Rabbit trail in Ashland last weekend (there was fresh snow). My feet feel good after hiking, which is a relief. Maybe it's the workout on uneven surfaces, foot flexing, and lots of blood flow? Anyway, I'm glad my favorite exercise feels beneficial rather than damaging!

This is a great forum. I've found out more here than on any other PN website I've visited. Thanks for all this!
Don_S is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Dr. Smith (11-23-2011), mrsD (11-23-2011)