View Single Post
Old 11-23-2011, 11:26 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default Welcome to winter on the Oregon Coast!

Well, after the last couple days I would have to say it sure seems like winter has started for us!

For us though, it's not snow that usually comes with winter. It's storms. It started with a mild windy and rainy day on Monday, then it got with it yesterday! I'm hearing 70 mph gusts, but some are predicting higher. Trees are down all over, there have been people without power in areas a couple hours south of us and some a mile north of us. Luckily ours has stayed on. The high wind warning is supposed to be in effect until 7am this morning (an hour ago) and another one has been issued for tomorrow.

This was a storm that had us kinda worried, it had the perfect set up. We had a cold front move through the end of last week and dump snow in the mountains. Then a warm front came through with high winds and up to 5" of rain in some places. Combine that with extremely high tides and we have the same set up for the storm that hit us in 07. But that one had gusts over 100mph. In 07 we were trapped in our community, we have four ways out. The highway north of us washed out, the highway south of us had a huge landslide, the highway that goes out in between those areas washed out, and even a back road that is kind of a locals only know about it way had a major bridge wash out (which still isn't fixed and they aren't going to fix it, it would cost too much). The rivers were all flooding. We were without power for a week and it was a warm storm. So, since I was cooking all our meals on the wood stove, our house had to have been 100 degrees!

As far as this storm right now we're not out of the woods yet, but it doesn't look like it's going to be quite as bad. But there is a ton of flooding. The river that runs right through our small town is a tide effected river. So needless to say it has gone over the highway a couple of times in this storm already. But that seems like an every winter occurrence around here.

So far so good, but we will see. I really hope the power stays on long enough for the turkey to cook tomorrow! But if not we will cook on the wood stove! Have a happy Thanksgiving everyone!
nemsmom is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Blessings2You (11-23-2011)