View Single Post
Old 11-24-2011, 02:19 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Smile

GrannyJo, I am happy to meet you. Hello.

Thank you to everyone who responded to this post, has helped me a lot.

My neuro is also insisting I take antidepressants and I don't think I need them. I don't have clinical depression, but I am facing financial troubles because I am unable to work and am soon reaching a time when I will have no money left to live on, and no medical insurance either. I really need help of some kind and not antidepressants.

I've applied for social security disability and would love to work, but can't find any job that I can do that will work with my MG issues (can barely find energy to even look for a job). I am feeling deperate and asked my neuro what I CAN do, that I need to figure out a source of money to live on, either a job or disability...he offers no real suggestions, tells me my MG is too mild for disability, refuses to fill out any disability related forms, and he tells me to take antidepressants! That solves nothing at all. Maybe I actually do feel depressed now but the reason is because I feel like no one is supportive.

Anyway, I don't want to go on about my troubles here in your post, other than to say I have issues to solve that are causing me to be angry, stressed and scared...not depressed! I'm really working hard at solutions.

I agree with the other posters here, sometimes feeling stressed or upsed is a motivation to fix things in our lives, for me it certainly is, and there is no reason to suppress depression if there is a logical reason for it. It is part of a grieving process for me, as I have lost my old self and can't see a new way into the future yet.

I did go see a therapist recently, because my neuro has recommended this as well, one I've seen before and trust, because I also have PTSD...and he wants me to take anti-depressants, too. I do think he will support my decision not to take them but he asked me to consider it.

In my opinion, unless you (and I) are clinically depressed, we don't need anti-depressants.

Honestly, if I had either a job that I could do that would pay my bills or some other source of income that would cover the basic necessities in life, I'd be happy. In fact I'd be happy immediately, I don't have some sort of imbalance causing a depression. I've started learning how to live with MG and seem to be stabilizing and feel good about thiat, I've even FINALLY accepted that I have limits and will never be my old strong and energetic self, I'm happy to be my new MG self and it does feel good (except when I do some part time temporary work, then I crash for a while and regret trying to work). I love my kids and family. I don't have any reason to be depressed other than the fear of the future and lack of mony. My kids haven't had any christmas presents for two years because of the MG and probably not this year either, I haven't had any new clothes or anything besides food for over 2 years.

If antidepressants will put money in my bank account, I'll take them gladly, but in all honesty, they cost money and I have no medical insurance, I think they will only add to my burden. I need a real solution! I hope the disabilty works out but if it doesn't I am out on the street or more likely asking relatives if they will care for me and my kids, I imagine they will but I hope I don't have to ask...it is really that desperate for me.

What is this thing about doctors and anti-depressants? Why can't the doctors help with actual solutions? I hope this therapist will offer some other solutions, I do have hope in him...

I see from reading this post that I am depressed...hopefully my feelings will motivate me to find a solution soon.

GrannyJo, I do see how having a crisis could make your mind somehow be afraid of swallowing. I have anxiety issues myself and have discovered that there is a mental aspect to my symptoms. Even though I am diagnosed with MG and have antibodies, my stress level can trigger symptoms, maybe if I solve my issues my MG will become less severe, I can only hope, for me and for you...MG is so complicated and unique to each individual, seems as if no one really understands how it works.

I hope you feel better soon.

DesertFlower is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote