View Single Post
Old 11-24-2011, 03:27 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rose_thorn98 View Post
Its been a year and 4 months since I started with my all over body neuropathic pain. I still have no diagnosis. I just ran a bunch of tests again, still nothing. I'm taking Lyrica 275 mg. a day and Elavil 40 mg. a day. It helps but I'm still in alot of pain. My pain Dr. said she does not think Strong Opiates will work for my neuropathic pain. She is now talking about referring me for Ketamine infusions. I have a poor quality of life and I try to stay strong for my family. Just feel so frustrated at how hard it is to get good pain management.
I always find it disheartening when I hear someone is in neuropathic pain and is told that opiates and other strong pain relievers do not work for their type pain. My neurologist held that opinion until proved wrong. Fortunately my PCP prescribed Oxycodone when the usual drugs for neuropathic pain ( entire body) gave only partial relief. At one point I was on 40mg times twice a day. Now I am down to only 10mg twice a day. Because I do not like the idea of being on a potentially addictive drug, I have attempted four times in the last six months to stop taking the Oxycodone. Each time the neuropathic pain increases to the point that I am in bearable, but constant, pain. Each time I have gone back on the Oxycodone and the pain recedes. I have reached the point that I have accepted and am willing to live with the potential addictive quality of the drug in return for a more normal quality of life. I have no doubt that most Drs. Feel they are doing what is best for their patients by not prescribing things like Oxycodone on a long term basis. However, they do a disservice by leaving their patients in pain when there is a possibility of relief. It is a mindset I have found with many Drs. That is difficult to change. Hope you find something that works for you.
BigDaddy is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote