Thread: Exercise for PN
View Single Post
Old 11-24-2011, 12:24 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Keep the resistance low, and do many reps...that is just as good.
Yes! I have hand dumbbells from 5 to 20 lbs, and for the various exercises I choose the weight so I can do 10 to 30 reps. It seems best for me if I don't strain to do the maximum weight possible.

It's seemed to me that walking for an hour or two on sidewalks makes my legs and lower back tired and achy, while walking on trails feels much better -- even if I hike for hours. I think maybe it's because walking on pavement is repetitive, with each step nearly the same and the foot-strike unforgiving, while the rough trails I like have a variety of slopes and footing so that the legs and feet have to flex a little differently with each step.

Then again, maybe it's psychological -- I just feel energized by getting out in the forest.

But if people find that walking on sidewalks hurts, it might be worthwhile to try ambling along a dirt or sawdust path instead.

Pets are great -- my mother has a cairn terrier and her little dog is what gets her out with her walker every day. She goes 4 or 5 blocks and back. My old dog -- he's a labrador mix -- has gotten so slow and sniffy that we spend 15 minutes walking to the park and back. He sniffs every bush and power pole, sometimes with deep interest and concentration. Maybe for him it's like reading great poetry...but it sure makes for a slow walk.

All the best to everyone this weekend!

Last edited by Don_S; 11-24-2011 at 12:25 PM. Reason: grammar
Don_S is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
mrsD (11-24-2011)