View Single Post
Old 11-25-2011, 07:18 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leesa View Post
Hi ! I suppose it could be the stenosis again, but it's more likely that the levels above/below the surgery site have failed. This happens alot after surgery. It seems that surgery causes the other levels to become unstable, and then they tend to bulge or herniate, causing lots of pain. The doctors don't tell us this -- we have to learn thru research & experience. It is sometimes called "Failed back surgery syndrome" or just Failed back syndrome.

I've had 2 open surgeries (laminectomies/diskectomies) and after each one, I had more pain than I had in the beginning! Today I'm disabled. So my advice is to avoid surgery in at ALL possible!!! Try physical therapy -- that usually helps alot.

Best of luck & let us know what the MRI says, ok? Hugs, Lee
Hi Lee
I was just reading about failed back syndrome yesterday! Its funny, you dont hear of any of these things until they affect you personally. I had never heard of spinal stenosis until I was diagnosed with it 2 yrs ago.
After my laminectomy the consultant said that he hadnt put any metal support in my spine when he did the op, but could always do that later!! I dont mind, but Im not sure that my work believe me. Because you cant see a back problem you are considered to be 'putting it on' here. Im 57 and a primary school teacher. I am always on my feet or sitting on little chairs ( I know I shouldnt, but I sit on them without thinking) I would willingly take early retirement on ill health grounds, but thats not likely to happen.
redjune is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote