Thread: MVD surgery
View Single Post
Old 11-25-2011, 08:01 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by richardfalls View Post
I'm glad to hear you are doing better, thats encouraging. I had my surgery on Sept. 26th, at Wake Forest Baptist, by Dr. Thomas Ellis. The surgery was a success, no more TN pain & been off Carbamazepine & lyrica since three days after surgery. I just still have a problem with fluid & sound of heart beating in my ear, & numbness in my face & ear area. Still experiencing fatigue & weakness after working all a day. I guess this is normal just very annoying, but alot better than dealing with the pain. I'm going back to Dr.Ellis & ENT Dr. in January, hopefully they can get this straigthen out or it will get better on its on. How long were you in surgery? My surgery took a little over 2 hours, had 1 blood vessel on nerve & 1 artery close to nerve.They removed the vessel & placed teflon between the nerve & artery. Hope you continue to get better & get off the meds.
I'm sure the hearing will come back soon and the numbness should go anyway on it's own. Yea, I had what felt like fluid in my ear too. I was told to expect some temporary hearing loss at my pre-op appointment. I was also told that the surgery would be about 2 hours long but it actually turned out to be 6 hours. My brother was told by the surgeon immediately after surgery that I had multiple blood vessels "tangled" up with the nerve. That was the word he used. I also have some teflon padding. 2 weeks before surgery, I got to where I couldn't chew food without causing an attack so I had my brother put a small package of crackers in his pocket before surgery. As soon as I came to in ICU, I had him give one to me and I chewed it no problem. One of the happiest days of my life and that was proof that my problem was fixed.

It was about 2 months before I could actually go to work due to some bad headaches I was having. I'm still having some occasionally but they have gotten better. Neither my neurologist or my neurosurgeon know why I'm still having them but that's the only problem I have left due to the surgery.

I find it strange how so many people have to deal with TN and are never offered MVD surgery. I had TN for a year and really don't think I could have lived with it any longer than that.

I hope your condition clears up soon....take care.
Zatochi is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote