View Single Post
Old 11-25-2011, 04:14 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryanna View Post
Hi Kris,

The wound from a simple wisdom tooth extraction can take several weeks to heal closed. The bone actually takes up to a year to fill in completely.

It would not be uncommon to have some on/off discomfort/pressure in that area as well as in the teeth/jaw in front of the extraction because that entire area shares the same bundle of nerves.

If you develop an unusual breath odor and/or a fever, or any swelling, then another visit to the dentist would be advisable. If none of those things occur, then to rest your concerns in about 3 months from the date of the extraction, you could visit the dentist for an xray of that area to see how it is healing.

It is wise to continue to rinse with warm salt water after your meals until the surgical hole closes over completely. However, only use a small amount of salt (like a pinch) to a 3 oz size bathroom cup. Also, avoid using any mouthwash that contains alcohol because the alcohol may prevent the surgical wound from healing closed and it will reduce the salivary flow which is imperative for healing purposes.

Hope this info helps.

Bryanna
THANKS Bryanna!!!! I am a bit paranoid and it just "seems" to be taking longer than all the "stories" I hear so I was getting worried. I will only do a pinch of salt...I was doing WAY too much I think. Thanks for that bit of advice. The MD did say he could write me a script for a medicated mouthwash....started with a C, I think.....does that sound necessary??
KrisPPP is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote