View Single Post
Old 11-26-2011, 03:53 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default similar experience

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpeace View Post
I'm not sure what forum this would go under, but it has to do with sleep and dreaming so I hope this one works. Two days ago I took a nap after a night of staying up late. I have been able to lucid dream multiple times successfully in the past. It happened this time without me wanting to though. When I realized I was dreaming, I wanted to wake myself up so I tried and then performed reality checks. This had to occur 3 or 4 times before I was successful at actually waking up. Each time I "woke up" in my dream I was convinced that I was actually awake. I was confused and didn't like it. It was a frightening experience because I felt like I was trapped inside my dream. After I woke up I tried my best to forget about what had happened because I didn't ever want it to happen again. I went to bed the next night and it didn't occur, but I woke up frequently. Last night I went to sleep and it happened again around 4 AM. I tried to wake up about 4 times, unsuccessful every time. I began to panic and did everything I could to tell myself to wake up. I was almost in some kind of paralysis at the end because I felt myself wake up but couldn't bring my eyes to open or my body to move. I was awake for about an hour and then got really tired so I drifted back to sleep around 5. Then it happened again! I got scared and started crying. It is a horrible thing and I want to figure out why it's happening. Has this ever happened to any of you?
Hi kpeace, I am not sure if I can be of any help, but at least you will know you are not alone in this. My experience was pretty embarrassing for me and until now I have never told anyone but my sister. I think I was caught in some kind of nightmare but I dont recall anything before I "woke up" I was however able to open my eyes I could see my entire bedroom, and I could see my arms and legs. The paralysis was terrifyng because I could see my body struggling to move. Part of me realized I must still be dreaming because I felt like I was being held down by two different invisable entities. (thats the crazy embarrassing part) I was also able to yell out because I was cussing something fierce telling them to leave me alone. I think I woke myself up with my loudest and final shout for them to get the ** out, almost immediatly after I was able to raise my head and shoulders off of the bed all I can remember after that was feeling incredibly tired and I passed back out. scarrier still is when I woke that morning I could recall every detail of the dream. I recently caught part of a documentery on dreaming and they had talked about the different stages of sleep. During REM swhile sleep something in the body causes a sort of paralysis to "keep you safe" while in active sleep. most sleep walkers lack this and that is what can cause them to act out their dreams physically. I personally have never slept walked before but this is the only conclution that I can logically come up with, that some how I must have half woken up during REM sleep when my body was still in paralysis mode.
Kristy

Last edited by Koala77; 11-26-2011 at 04:37 AM. Reason: Language guidelines
kristylynn528 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote