View Single Post
Old 11-26-2011, 05:10 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default different types of pain

Quote:
Originally Posted by misterkatamari View Post
Hi everyone, I had a question I was wondering if I could get some input/answers to.

I'm on 50mg of Tramadol right now for chronic back/leg pain due to several issues including a herniated disk. The tramadol was prescribed by my pain management doctor, but for now I am just under the care of my primary. Anyhow, I am allowed to take 2 tablets at a time for 100mg, as long as I don't go over 6 tablets in 24 hours.

I get some help from this medication, but it mainly only helps with what I call my 'normal' aches and pains. Basically, it helps with all of the chronic pain I have had for years, but not the severe pain I have that just recently started last December. I was on a lowish dose of Hydrocodone before this, and it actually helped LESS. It made me loopy, but I still felt awful physically!

My question is basically, what would be other options to discuss with my doctor? I have an appointment, but I like to have an idea of what I want to say before I go. Right now I am just feel like I can't take the pain, even with the Tramadol. I've also tried anti-inflammatories like Naproxen, but it has about the same effect...though I had awful side effects with the Naproxen. (Acid reflux/stomach stuff.)

So what would be the next step or alternative? A different narcotic? A higher dose of what I am currently on? Or is there a different type/class of medication that may help? Any info is appreciated!
I also have disc problems, 3 of them in my neck are herniated. the best thing you can do is describe the symptoms of your severe pain to your doctor. With a herniated disc in your spine and the radiating pain to your leg, it stands to reason that there is a good chance you are suffering from neuralgia, and nerve pain is a whole other ball-game. I had a severe allergic reaction when I took tramadol and like you I was put on a low dose of vicodin along with 800mg ibuprofen 3 times a day and it didn't work. Eventually my doctor gave in and tried me on neurontin, for the most part my pain is tolerable now. Good luck to you.
kristylynn528 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote