View Single Post
Old 11-26-2011, 11:28 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Shadow-thx for replying! How are you now feeling since block? Nobody really told me HOW I would feel so I don't know what is normal? I've been icing the injection sites, also. My arm has been so heavy and weak since the block. Is yours? I don't know if this means it worked or what? I don't exactly understand how I should feel if they muscles did indeed "relax". Would all of the symptoms go away? I wish there was more info about all of this! My arm was a bit heavy and week before the block, but now it's very apparent that it's worse than before. Does that mean the muscles are relaxing and the block is doing it's job? How am I supposed to find out this type of information anyway? Dr's offices are closed and searching the internet doesn't help!

How come you got twilight sedation? My dr assured me that once I walked to the north side of the campus to the pain mgmt place, that they would give me something to calm my nerves/anxiety. Pain mgmt doc said NO, they couldn't do that. He said if you were relaxed, then the injection wouldn't be an accurate way of seeing if it worked b/c you were already relaxed. Heck if I know! I just know I was exhausted, scared to death, tired, emotionally drained, and couldn't relax at all. The nurses and dr and staff were all so wonderful! Afterwards, my blood pressure was sky high and I was dizzy. He also got that nerve close to the scalene muscle and it made my stomache jump up and down and I couldn't breathe and had almost a little panic attack on the table. I had a huge lump in my throat and couldn't swallow well which meant no more food or drink for 2 extra hours or it would've went straight to my lungs they told me. The recovery room was FREEZING cold and I def wasn't able to relax after the injections. Wonder if that had anything to do with the block not working? I think I'm grasping at straws here.......I'm still so jealous that you got sedated! It was very unpleasant and painful, but not near as bad as when I had to have a wound vac 4 years ago after a hysterectomy!

What is your next plan of action? I have 6 weeks of PT then follow up with doc. He says I have true neurogenic thoracic outlet syndrome. Everything I read about that is def surgery to correct. I do not want to have surgery!!! I don't heal very well afterwards and it's just not good timing....when is it EVER?

Question, does your arm feel real heavy and week since block? Does cold air HURT where you got the scalene block? I walked outside after the movies last night and my neck got so tight and started to spasm JUST from the cold air. Guess I'll have to find out if this is normal!

Keep me posted on you. I'm glad people on this board can relate to the fear that we're all facing from all the unknowns!!!!

Julie
rjewels13 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote