View Single Post
Old 11-26-2011, 04:25 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Hi everyone,

Wow, thank you so much for the responses. My apologies for not responding earlier - I had not checked this board in a couple of months before today, and was surprised to see others who are experiencing something similar! I'm so glad we have found each other!

Here is a brief update on my situation - I had another MRI defecography done in September, which revealed yet another very large rectocele. Even after having rectocele repair a little over a year ago, another rectocele has formed because of extreme straining. I began seeing a new doctor - a urogynecologist - who performed a posterior colporrhaphy and perineoplasty (my perineal area had stretched and was severely bulging from all the straining) on October 31st, so right now I am 4 weeks post-op.

I was on a liquid diet for 2 weeks post-op, but am eating solids now...and the nightmare has returned...I cannot have a complete bowel movement without the aid of a warm-water enema Bowel movements are *slightly* better, because stool is not getting trapped in the extra repository of the rectocele, but I still have to strain to even get started, and then eventually finish up with the enema. I just don't have enough "push" to get the contents out. And it just hurts so bad! It is miserable.

My new doctor has confirmed what others have said - the puborectalis muscle is strangling the rectum and not allowing it to open. My internal **** sphincter is SO tight that barely anything can pass through. He said it was tight even when I was unconscious under anesthesia! The straining I've been doing lately, combined with the manual massage of the area to even get ANYTHING started, has caused the return of a fissure, because I've started seeing blood again

The new doc said a sphincterotomy (cutting the internal **** sphincter) would be risky because fecal incontinence could result. He is trying conservative treatment first, and suggested I order dilators. They just arrived, and my next appointment is Thursday, December 1st. He will show me how to use the dilators, which will supposedly help to stretch the sphincter muscle and create new muscle memory so that it will begin to open on its own. I hope this works.

@Jamie - I saw Dr. Massarat Zutshi at the Cleveland Clinic. She performed the botox injections & EGS. I saw her 3 times, but making that trip got costly! That's great that you found out about the Mayo Clinic's program! I do hope you can get there & that it will work for you. This is a horrible condition to have, and it seems there is really very little information out there! I'm thinking of starting all over and going to Johns Hopkins if things do not improve for me after the dilator therapy.

@Helen - Wow, what a long time to be dealing with this condition! I will try to figure out how to email you through this board so that we can swap info.

@njmama09 - Yes, it baffles me why NO doctor (even my new current one, who I really like and actually seems willing to help) is interested in exploring a possible neurological reason why my INVOLUNTARY muscle is not working properly. My current doc insists that the dilators & biofeedback is the answer. But I've already gone through that - with 2 different therapists -for months with no relief. I will certainly keep bringing it up! I'm not sure why they can't at least do tests...

Once I figure out how to send private messages on here, I will try to correspond with some of you! Thank you, thank you SO much for the responses. I am happy we have all found each other so we can share our experiences and treatment stories. I will definitely be checking this board more regularly now!

Thanks again. Good luck to you all & please do keep in touch! I will also keep y'all posted on my progress...

~Rollergirl553
rollergirl553 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote