View Single Post
Old 03-24-2007, 09:01 PM
artist

artist

Hi Vanessa,

Interesting food for thought there, I just looked it up and perhaps I may increase my intake a tad because of this:

http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/n...ory_44119.html
Folic Acid Boosts Cognition in Older Adults
Study finding is latest word in debate over the nutrient's merits

FRIDAY, Jan. 19 (HealthDay News) -- Dutch researchers have added another chapter to the continuing debate over whether folic acid supplements can sharpen the aging mind. Their conclusion: The nutrient does improve cognitive function in older adults.........The same Dutch researchers, reporting in the Jan. 2 issue of the Annals of Internal Medicine, found that people who took a folic acid supplement had less decline in hearing low-frequency sounds over time, compared with people who didn't take the supplement.

Wikipaedia seems to have the best round-up of folic acid (what did I know about it ).

But I see there's quite a controversy over its effects in other areas - importantly, taking too much can mask B12 deficency, and there are other question regarding its interplay with cancer and heart disease.

We should get most of the right amount in the food we eat in a normal healthy diet (green leaves, wheat cereals, etc) so probably no need to supplement it really, and it seems we definitely shouldn't take too much. BTW, I probably have been taking it for RSD without realizing it, my diet is pretty healthy so I should already be getting enough....

Still, the "cognition impairment" findings are pretty interesting for someone my age......maybe I'll give it a go (cautiously) - and you'll see a Whole New Me

Thanks for mentioning it!
all the best
  Reply With QuoteReply With Quote