Thread: MVD surgery
View Single Post
Old 11-26-2011, 10:19 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zatochi View Post
I'm sure the hearing will come back soon and the numbness should go anyway on it's own. Yea, I had what felt like fluid in my ear too. I was told to expect some temporary hearing loss at my pre-op appointment. I was also told that the surgery would be about 2 hours long but it actually turned out to be 6 hours. My brother was told by the surgeon immediately after surgery that I had multiple blood vessels "tangled" up with the nerve. That was the word he used. I also have some teflon padding. 2 weeks before surgery, I got to where I couldn't chew food without causing an attack so I had my brother put a small package of crackers in his pocket before surgery. As soon as I came to in ICU, I had him give one to me and I chewed it no problem. One of the happiest days of my life and that was proof that my problem was fixed.

It was about 2 months before I could actually go to work due to some bad headaches I was having. I'm still having some occasionally but they have gotten better. Neither my neurologist or my neurosurgeon know why I'm still having them but that's the only problem I have left due to the surgery.

I find it strange how so many people have to deal with TN and are never offered MVD surgery. I had TN for a year and really don't think I could have lived with it any longer than that.

I hope your condition clears up soon....take care.
I had TN for 2 years,didn't get offered MVD surgery until I told neurologist ;I wanted off meds & have quality of life back. That was the key word quality of life. I was then referred to the neurosurgeon Dr. Ellis. I was referred for the Gamma Knife procedure, but chose MVD for long term. I went back to work in 6 weeks,the first two were very tough!! Work is getting a little easier; but still feel like I'm only about 70 percent. When I shaved & went down the river in my bass boat this caused alot of my flare ups of TN. I haven't had many headaches since surgery, but I do get them for a minute when I bend over.This may be coming from the fluid on the ear.

Hope you are doing well.
richardfalls is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote