View Single Post
Old 11-27-2011, 01:47 PM
In Remembrance

15 yr Member
In Remembrance

15 yr Member
Thumbs Up grapefruit juice as a drugs booster

Hi Johnt,
Thanks for your link, it gives one explanation as to the mechanism of this boost to drugs.

"). So, taking felodipine while drinking grapefruit juice was essentially the same as taking a higher dose of the drug because its elimination from the body was slowed. Today's WSJ article and blog post discuss the experimental and commercial approach to using CYP3A4 inhibitors as "dose boosters" to minimize the dose one needs to take of some very expensive drugs.

I did say big pharma would not be amused!!
Before we get into this, is there a clinical trial somewhere in ther literature?
If there is, it is quite likely that it has been suppressed for reasons given above.
Levodpa is a cheap drug, but with over 5 million sufferers worldwide, half of the market being lost would be horrendous for the suippliers. From our point of view, halving your sinemet would delay the onset of dyskinesia, or reduced dyskinesia in more advanced patients.
Ron

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnt View Post
Coincidently, I started about a month ago to drink grapefruit juice after a break of almost 6 years. I had stopped when I was put on statins.

I have not noticed an effect that I can directly attribute to grapefruit. However, the last few weeks have been good for me. I had put this down to more exercise, both normal and forced.

Regarding the literature, see the blog of D. J. Kroll:

http://scienceblogs.com/terrasig/200...a_drug_boo.php

"Grapefruit juice as a 'drug booster': don't try this at home"

Linking this to another current thread there are comments on the impact of grapefruit juice on DXM.

John