View Single Post
Old 11-27-2011, 01:56 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scaredsilly View Post
So its possible to do physical therapy etc to prevent surgery and fix the venous thoracic outlet syndrome?
Morning, I wanted to jump in here and say that I know how you feel. Do a search for my user name (Josepentia) and you can find my posts/read my story. I am also 26, and I didn't have any significant injuries or history that would cause ATOS/VTOS. Yes, I had both, but no neuro involvement. I had my surgery back in April of this year, and although I don't come around on this site much anymore, I still look around to see if i can help here and there. I had the identical symptoms as you, the red flushing hands, the buldging veins, ect. At first my symptoms were like yours in that they only appeared in certain arm positions. Eventually though, the symptoms became constant and it no longer mattered how I stood, walked, slept, sat, drove, ate, etc. Finally I went to the right Dr, had a vascular ultrasound done of the left and right arm and we were ALL able to CLEARLY see what was going on in there. I had a complete obstruction of my left subclavian artery when I raised my left arm up in any direction. I have it in my right arm as well, BTW, but it wasn't AS bad (if you want to think of it like that) but my left thoracic outlet needed surgery urgently. I was at risk of developing a clot the longer I waited. Once I was on the OR table, the surgeon saw that indeed my subclavian vein was involved as well, which was the general idea, but we didn't know for sure until he got in there.
I had the surgery, it was a 100% success, my symptoms are gone and I was back to living a normal life within 2 weeks. Back to doing all normal activities within about two months. Surgery was the best thing that ever happened to me!!

I am pregnant now, due in April '12. In the summer of '12 I will have the right side done. ATOS/VTOS there too.

Don't be scared. Get your tests done, get the right surgeon (I live in AZ BTW) and don't think that every test in the world is needed. I've had MRI's, CT scans, you name it! Ultimately, the vascular ultrasound was THE best quality and showed everything without a doubt.

Research my posts and contact me with any questions,
Jocelyn
josepentia is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
chroma (11-27-2011), Jomar (11-27-2011), ladylaura418 (11-27-2011), nospam (04-04-2012), Shadow1 (11-27-2011)