View Single Post
Old 11-29-2011, 05:42 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default Take brain injury very seriously and be patient

Someone with postconcussion symptoms needs to be very careful with their condition and take resting and getting better seriously. They have to be patient and not risk making things worse by returning to normal activities too quickly.

The brain is a delicate and mysterious organ that recovers slowly. If your brain has been hurt and you feel exhausted, then you just have to rest and that's an end to it. You might not notice an improvement every day, but you still have to go on resting and trying to recover.

The trouble is that people do not realize how serious a blow to the head can be. It could alter the rest of your life dramatically for the worse, or you could recover. So, the most important thing is to give yourself every chance of recovery, whatever that takes.

I didn't realize what a serious injury I had. I didn't even go to hospital at first. Now it is four years to the day since my injury and I am still trying to recover. I am taking the injury seriously now.

That is the first thing that I would have done differently. I would have gone directly to the emergency department. It is doubtful whether I would have gotten any treatment that would have made a difference, but it might have, and that possibility would have been worth the effort. I think that giving oxygen in those early stages might help. It is certainly worth a try.

It is really worth making every effort to try to influence the outcome in a positive way. Any small difference that can be made will last a lifetime.

Concussed Scientist
"Thanks for this!" says:
Brain patch (04-13-2013), DejaVu (08-12-2015), delvaughn2008 (02-07-2013), HikerJan (11-05-2016), Margarite (12-22-2011), mollymum (06-27-2012), NorwegianGuy (03-09-2018), poetrymom (07-08-2013), ReWiredKris (08-13-2013)