View Single Post
Old 11-30-2011, 09:24 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GerryW View Post
Thanks for the kind words. I am not familiar with the properties of those
Chinese herbs but I will check with my TCM doctor and see what she thinks.
We find the publication "Handbook of Chinese Medicinal Plants" (2 vols) by Tang & Eisenbrand, published by Wiley-VCH 2011, ISBN 9783527322268 a good reference.

We were alerted to the actions of Gou Teng/Gambir/Uncaria Rhynchophylla by an article in New Scientist 17th of June 2011, "Chinese Medicine Offers New Parkinson's Treatments" in which Li Min, a tradition Chinese doctor at Hong Kong Baptist University is interviewed about a Parkinson's trial in which gou teng was used as part of a formula. She talks about its actions on alpha-synuclein. Rhynchophylline, found in Uncaria Rhynchophylla, is described in Wikipedia as a "calcium channel blocker" with some references, which is why we thought of it for your triple therapy idea.

Perhaps we shouldn't have mentioned Lycium Chinense in this context. We were thinking of it because we were researching Gou Teng and came across an article titled "Inhibition of monoamine oxidase B (MAO-B) by Chinese Herbal Medicines", 2003, (see Pubmed). In this article both Uncaria Rhyncophylla and Lycium Chinense performed well.

Thanks again, Paul & Sarah
Paul Brennan is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote